Teletherapy Services From the Comfort of Your Home
How does teletherapy work?
Through a secure platform, therapists link to clients via an internet connection, web portal, and two-way live video. Through the platform, the kiddo can interact with the therapist just as he/she would if it was an in-person session. There can be hands-on activities, activities involving the platform, and even interactive games between the two. Often, a caregiver is on the end with the kiddo providing cueing and any “hands-on” techniques that might be needed by the instruction of the therapist.
Have you used any type of video calling on your cell phone? Then you know how the foundation of live video works in teletherapy! Teletherapy sessions are identical to face-to-face sessions, except instead of in person, you’re on a two-way video call.
Does it have the same impact as traditional face-to-face therapy?
Also, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) has recognized teletherapy as an effective method of service delivery since 2005. You can find their statement regarding the matter here.
With any type of treatment, there isn’t a blanket statement that can be made with a “100% guarantee that this will work!” Just like some children respond better to whole groups than small groups, or some children can wear long sleeves and others can’t – some children will benefit greatly from this method and others will benefit more from a traditional face-to-face, 1:1 setting.
What do I need for teletherapy?
If you have a computer, a microphone, and a camera (which most computers/laptops have automatically now), you’re set! You’ll also need a strong internet connection. As long as you have those items, you can engage in teletherapy sessions.
What are the key benefits of teletherapy?
- Convenience! Your child can now engage in therapy without leaving your home and you don’t have to feel like you need to clean up for a clinician to visit your home.
- Kids love technology. Yes, there are opposite opinions regarding technology with children as a whole, but sometimes it needs to be embraced. Today’s children just don’t know a time without screens – and that’s OK. Most children love online video interaction and are highly motivated by it. Also, children can feel more comfortable in this setting than with an unfamiliar person. While a lot of adults might not understand the constant connection, kids do.
- Access to providers you typically wouldn’t have access to otherwise. Those in rural areas can access therapy in their kitchen instead of having to drive an hour to a rural clinic. If you need a specialized treatment approach (like feeding therapy) that few are qualified in, teletherapy can connect you with that special therapist. The options provided to clients has grown tremendously with the introduction of teletherapy.
- Less cancelled sessions
- There are no transportation concerns.
- Children’s attention may be greater with teletherapy. Children are drawn to technology. The interactive platform and interactive games on the computer with the therapists are motivating and keep a lot of students engaged for longer amounts of time.
Check out this video of our kiddo’s using Teletherapy at CTC!
If you are interested in setting up a teletherapy session for your child, please contact us! We would love to get started with you!